January 5, 2009

Weekly Featured Artist - Fran of Lyptis


We start 2009 off with a a fellow Aussie as this weeks Featured Artist! All the dresses, brooches, and women's shirts in Frans etsy shop are "sewn from scratch" by her and are gorgeous! Visit her shop at www.lyptis.etsy.com and find your fav item no matter where you live as Fran is happy to post internationally, and also would be happy to work with you on a custom item if you like!

Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
Hi, my name is Franziska Ringel. I'm a German by origin and i have been living in Australia for 2.5 years now and 2 of them in Melbourne! I have actually gotten quite used to the Australian 'laid-backness' and the mild weather, who would have thought!:) I live with my boyfriend who is from New Zealand and our plant, which is called planti!

How long have you been creating your craft?
Before I got into dressmaking I was very interested in music and i actually studied sound engineering, but it didn't really work out (too many stupid men in that business!) I played in a band, I use to draw allot and take photographs of buildings and nature too!
I started sewing about 9 months ago and I absolutely love it! It's great to turn normal fabrics into something beautiful which is also very practical and you can wear every day! i have been selling for 3 months now and I also love the fact that people love to wear something I made! Yay!!


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your craft & selling it?
You have to be patient and believe in yourself! Also I guess networking is a big one! If something doesn't work out, try it again, use a different approach, nobody's perfect from the beginning! Joining a team on etsy has been wonderful to me! Not just to chat and not feel so alone as a newbie, you also learn things, can promote each other and help each other!

Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
I love working with vintage material, they take me away to some fantasy world, some nice and safe place, so romantic! It's like an adventure! Obviously I also like to scout around for them.


Is there a basic 'household' item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual 'tool'?
I always like to keep little jars from food stuff for items like buttons, pinbacks and other little stuff, of course I soak them in water for hours before that. And I got a little peanut dish in shape of a peanut that I keep my little tools in!

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
I like crispy candy bars, with caramel and crunch, like twix or fling, but really I'm a battenberg girl:) that is some marzipany dutch specialty you can get from the supermarket, the ends are dipped in chocolate and is has a nice sweet milky cream and sponge in it! Mmmh..


If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
I'd go everywhere! Well everywhere were there is peace and its not too stressful! I like beaches and culture! And I want to go to Hawaii, New York and Cuba! Hopefully next year! **Prays!!**

3 comments:

Scarlette Rose Fairy said...

Great interview, it's always nice to find out how others came about Etsy! Lyptis has gorgeous items, really like the pink stripy one!!

lyptis said...

How fun to read my own interview!:)

u know, the thanks i added on the end of the interview, to u for putting me on ur blog and that i love ur blog, u cud have left that!;)

Thanks so much it looks really nice! Yay!

Anastasia said...

yeahh what a great interview!!
Lyptis' dresses sure look comfy!!